Thursday, April 13, 2006

Bombarded!!

Since I moved here to California, my world is being rocked. First, I learned independence. Now I am learning about the great need here. Currently I work with International Students as their friend, conversation partner, and teacher. However I want to get involved in a ministry to children again. I want to do more than teach children's church, I want to get involved in the community. I want to get involved in this city--this great mission field. However, the minute I think I know what I want to do, something else strikes me and I want to do that. BUT THE NEED IS NOT THE CALL> What am I called to? I don't know if I will even know what I am called to until I try a few things. So that is what I want to do!!! But Where do I start? I am thinking about taking a trip to the dream center--I was disappointed that my class did not do that on our outing as was originally mentioned. I see the need and I want to help. Actually there is so much that I still have not seen since being here--. I want to do some participant observation (see Spradley's book with that title) Maybe get involved with a school some how. I just have to find the right one, the right way at the right time. I know God is placing this desire in me, because He has a plan. YES He has a plan for me to get involved in a specific ministry right here in LA, and I don't think I have found it yet, although I do enjoy and want to continue my work with International Students. I know I have some skills not being used right now, not realized yet, because I haven't had the opportunity to practice them, to hone them, to develop them. It is really interesting that I am taking this intro to urban mission class the quarter before I am getting ready to go learn how to evangelize tribal peoples. Tribes and the city don't seem to go together. However tribes are rapidly being pushed out and displaced by urban life, if I understand it correctly. At least it has happened some places. Anyways I just saw a film called Twilight which I am preparing to write a reflection on. It is about the civil unrest that erupted in LA in 1992. One lady acted as each character that she had earlier interviewed, and spoke in their words their accounts of the events and their opinions. I have only just heard about it, so I was really dismayed by what I saw. As I watched it I felt bombarded with the feelings of the people involved--their anger, hurt, shame, violent reactions, and strong opinions. Anyways, I have bombarded any readers of this blog with a lot of thoughts. (THAT IS IF ANYONE READS IT). Anyways, I welcome any comments. Good night.

2 comments:

Desert Fox said...

Well I guess we all come to a point where we feel God's call to serve in the way He has chosen for us. The fact that you acknowledge this call is the first step.

BTW, what you do with international students makes a huge impact in their lives. This from a former international student (Though I think that we remain students all our lives).

Just remember that in you eagerness to live (which in itself is not wrong), you don't forget to live. For Jesus came to give us life and life abundantly. In His time...

God Bless.

Anonymous said...

WE READ IT!

_LOVE_ Sarah and Joanna